Abstract:Titanium has its own characteristics in terms of chemical, physical and mechanical properties. In su...
Titanium has its own characteristics in terms of chemical, physical and mechanical properties. In summary, it mainly has the following six properties.
1) Corrosion resistance Titanium is very stable in many media. If the high specific strength of titanium alloys is an important basis for titanium used in aviation and aerospace, then the excellent corrosion resistance of titanium is the basis for civil industry use. Titanium has a great affinity with oxygen. In the air or in an oxygen-containing medium, a dense, strong adhesion and inert oxide film is formed on the surface of titanium, which protects the titanium matrix from corrosion, even due to mechanical wear. It will self-heal or regenerate quickly, and the titanium oxide film will always maintain this characteristic when the medium temperature is below 315°C. This is the basic guarantee for the use of titanium in civil industries in various countries.
2) Small density and high specific strength. The density of metal titanium is 4.5g/cm3. Under the same size conditions, equipment made of titanium is about half lighter than steel, so titanium is a light material; the strength of titanium alloy is close to that of steel. , Much higher than aluminum, so titanium alloy is a kind of light and high-strength metal structure material. Because of this excellent characteristic, titanium alloys are widely used in aviation, aerospace, missiles, weapons and other technologies.
3) Non-magnetic titanium alloy is a non-magnetic metal and will not be magnetized in a large magnetic field. This feature allows titanium alloys to be used in magnetron equipment, and titanium naval shells can avoid the explosion of magnetic mines. Titanium alloy has good compatibility with human tissues and blood, so it is adopted by the medical community for artificial joints, cardiac pacemakers and other equipment. In addition, titanium equipment is also an ideal equipment for the pharmaceutical industry.
4) Damping resistance After titanium alloy is subjected to mechanical vibration and electrical vibration, its vibration decay time is longer than that of steel and copper. Titanium alloys with this performance can be used to make tuning forks, medical ultrasonic pulverizer vibrating elements, and acoustic speaker vibrating membranes.
5) Low temperature resistance performance of low temperature titanium alloy represented by TA7 and TC4, its strength increases with the decrease of temperature, but the plasticity changes little, and it can maintain good ductility and toughness at low temperature of -196～-253℃, avoiding To improve the cold brittleness of metals, it is an ideal material for cryogenic containers, storage tanks and other equipment.
6) Heat resistance The high temperature titanium alloy developed by solid solution strengthening α phase can be used for a long time below 600°C and used for a short time below 800°C. When the airplane's flying speed Mach number is higher than 2.7, the parts such as the disc, blades, rear fuselage, guide, air intake receiver and other parts of the engine are all made of high-temperature titanium alloy. www.crnmc.com